Thursday, March 3, 2011

Color + Fruit = Instant Success

Budding entrepreneurs, listen up.  If you start with some tart milk that has been fermented by bacteria, make it real cold, then sell it under the name of some color and the name of a fruit, be prepared for a serious and sudden windfall.  It started with pinkberry frozen yogurt, and now it's roseberry, kiwiberri, bluemango (not to be confused with redmango), snowberry, and new this year - Richmond's own sweetfrog.  Okay, so they expanded the nomenclature rules to include flavor + animal.  Fine.

I am certain only Asians could have dreamed up something so cute.  



The second ingredient to success includes a color scheme so bright your eyes feel like they are being assaulted with ice picks.

Exhibit one.

And last but not least, excruciatingly loud (I know, I'm getting old) club music or the latest and greatest from The Bieber himself.  Or, perhaps pinkberry's very own jingle (on the pinkberry site):  "Sorry, ice cream, I'm dreaming of a different dessert...pinkberry shaved ice and frozen yogurt...mmm...it doesn't feel like I'm cheatin' when I'm eating it cuz it's healthy...I feel better already..."  Catchy.

Despite all its ridiculousness, I'm officially FIXATED on our local copycat's tart yogurt topped with mini mochi balls, chocolate sprinkles, fresh fruit and caramel.  Add pinkberry to my list of inventions I wished I came up with (you know, velcro, post it notes, flobee...).

This concept has definitely gone viral for now (I mean, come on, we have one in Richmond) - so you're bound to find one - if not pinkberry, then surely purpleavocado (it's a fruit, people), redbanana, or orangeorange - in your town.  Or you can make your own - so easy it's ridonk.  See below:

How to make tart pinkberryesque fro yo.  I mean, frozen yogurt.  I hate people that say fro yo about as much as people who call San Francisco "Frisco".
- One 17.6 ounce carton of  2% greek style yogurt (like Fage or Trader Joe's)
- Two tablespoons of honey
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
Mix everything together and stick it all in an ice cream maker.  It pretty much came out identical to pinkberry's original tart.  Happy chillin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment