Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brilliant...unless you're an alcoholic

Q:
What does R.E.I. and my favorite pinot noir (Sass, Willamette Valley, OR, if you must know) have in common?

A:
The Platypreserve, the single most useful piece of awesome I've ever owned.

R.E.I., you ask?  Well the platypreserve is a non-glass and collapsible-when-you're-done-with-it wine carrier and preserver that makes perfect sense for camping.  Does wine plus camping sound smart?  Maybe.  Although wine plus ax plus chopping firewood while camping doesn't really.  That sounds more like a finger, or worse yet, an entire extremity that will need to be reattached.  But a reusable way to keep a bottle of wine fresh for weeks?  Just plain brilliant. The platypreserve holds up to an entire bottle of wine - just pour it in, squeeze out the air and screw the cap on.  You know those vacuum wine sealers that are supposed to preserve your wine? This thing really kicks their ass into oblivion.  Really.

I gotta give huge props to R.E.I. - an already cooler than cool store - for carrying this. At $9.95 it'll keep your booze tasting tasty for a nominal cost.  The only time it is not worth it is if you regularly down an entire bottle in one sitting.  By yourself.  Pets as company do not count.  Although...if you regularly drink a bottle and a half in one sitting, this will come in handy for keeping that second bottle fresh for the the morning after.  Ha...see? The platypreserve really IS for everyone - alkies included.

So wonderful I have two, one for whites and one for reds.  And if I ever start camping, I will most certainly be using these plasticky flasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment