Thursday, January 13, 2011

Welcome to Two Words, No Hyphen

First of all, the name...there is nothing that causes more confusion in my everyday life than my name.  My new(-ish) name, Nancy Yen Shipley.  Yen's not my middle name.  It's my maiden name, now the first half of my last name, but since I never had a middle name, I opted to not start now.  After the wedding, I decided to add my husband's Shipley to it.  TWO WORDS, NO HYPHEN.  It's not hard.  What about someone with a last name like De la cruz? That's THREE words.  I only have two.  Yet banks, telemarketers, people at work, airlines - they just can't get it.  Sometimes I'm not even allowed to keep the space in there, so it becomes one long yenshipley.  But I like my two-word-no hyphen-having last name.  And I couldn't think of what else to call the blog.  So there you have it.

So, why a blog? I have nothing to peddle, nothing to promote.  Some people would say I have too much time on my hands.  I don't.  I have a job, a husband, a dog, a social calendar, hobbies...but sometimes I come across something new that I think my friends would love - whether it be a culinary creation, a new makeup discovery, a great restaurant, or cool website - and I feel the urge to post it somewhere.  Sure, Facebook is great. But I know among the FB friends that I have, 99% probably could care less about how I figured out a way to make cauliflower actually edible.  So this, my friends, is for the 1%.  Enjoy.  Or point and laugh. What ever floats your boat.

1 comment: